Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tabata

One word... WOW! Tabata kicked my ass. I had mentioned earlier that I wanted to try tabata after reading about it at log my loss and it seems like a simple concept. Work out in 20 second intervals for four minutes. Since I have always enjoyed circuit training I thought I might enjoy tabata. So I found a Tabata timer online and a couple songs. I started thinking about what exercises I should do... squats, jumping jacks, stepper... then at the last minute I decided to add an arm exercise using my yoga ball. I have been ready to try tabata for about a week now but I just could get motivated to try it... mostly because it sounds really hard. I decided to bit the bullet and give it a try today. I did good through the squats, my legs were sore and I slowed down a lot in the last two intervals. Then I rested and moved onto jumping jacks, which went ok but they are a lot harder then I was expecting. Then I moved onto my arm exercise (which is kind of like a push up only the yoga ball is at your feet and takes off some of the weight) by the last minute I thought I was going to fall on my face. I made it through but my arms were like string and I think I only did two in the last twenty seconds. I started the stepping but I was exhausted. I only made it through the first minute and then shut off the timer.

I was expecting this to be hard... but it was even harder. Maybe I am trying the wrong exercises. I will have to give this some thought.

5 comments:

  1. That is interesting. I had never heard of that! I will have to look into it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabata is extremely hard - we do it at my workouts, but concentrate on one exercise for the 8 or 10 or 12 sets that the trainers have us do...for example, squats for 20 seconds, hold the squat for 10, repeat (ick), or sprinting on the treadmill for 20 seconds and resting for 10. It's intense, but dang - you do get a great workout from it. Good on ya for trying something different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to read you did this RCA. It is tough! The good thing is, it gets easier pretty quickly. You build up the ability much faster than I expected. Now you have pushed me to do multiple Tabata routines in a single day - something I have not done yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this. Sounds interesting!!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!!

    ReplyDelete