Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My hips won't do that

I tried a Zumba class for the first time today. I was surprised by the number of people in the class ,there must have been about 40 and they were every age, weight and gender. I was kind of surprised by that. For some reason I pictured 20-40 year old fit women doing this. Anyway... about two minutes into the warm-up I started noting exits for the quickest and least noticeable exit... because I can not move like that. I am not sure what the instructor is doing with her hips but I am pretty sure I can't do it. Before making a hasty exit I decided to watch other people in the class too, and guess what, about 90% of the class sucked at least as bad as me (if not more). I didn't feel so bad after that. I just tried to follow along as best I could and not worry too much about it. It is pretty fun and the instructor is perky and cute (don't you just hate people like that?) I am just kidding she was actually pretty great and easy to follow, my moves looked more like repetitive aerobic movements and less like dancing but I think it's a good workout. I am pretty sure I will try it again.

6 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try Zumba. I'm sure each instructor is different. I'm impressed with your progress. I'm struggling but working on it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a semi-convert! My hips won't do that either, but I have fun trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL on looking for the nearest exit! I have no rhythm, so I know to avoid Zumba, but I'm proud of you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until just a few weeks ago, I had never even heard of this. Now it seems like I am seeing it everywhere. Thanks for the humorous recount of your first experience with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I saw this class I stood outside the room and watched in awe. My sister and I finally got the nerve and went through it. I dont think I have ever had so much fun working out in my life!!! congrats on trying it!

    ReplyDelete