Monday, September 21, 2009

Squash and weigh-in

I did my weigh-in this morning, for those of you keeping track it is a day late. Yesterday I had a rather strange scale experience. When I got home from work I had a headache, I used to get them all the time but hadn't had one in over a year so I was surprised by it. I got on the scale and it said 224 pounds. I was not expecting to lose over five pounds this week so I got off the scale thinking perhaps there was an error, so I tried it again, and again it said 224. I wondered if I was dehydrated. I tried to think of the last time I had some water and the last time I could remember drinking water was at least 12 hours prior. I thought that would explain my headache too. So I didn't count that weigh-in, instead I drank some water and went to sleep. I made sure I stayed hydrated today and did a weigh-in again this morning. It was 226.8, that's more like I expected, a three pound loss (seems to be the trend I have had lately). So that is the one I am counting this week. With the three pound loss I also tried on the size 18 jeans I had from the last time I lost weight and they fit! Yippee! I am wearing them to work tonight.

What do you think; can being dehydrated cause a 3 pound difference in your weight?

Today I also made spaghetti squash... first I went to the thrift store to find a small baking dish (all I have are big ones). So about 31 dollars later after I also found a pair of pants, a measuring cup, some toys for my niece and a very cool cake stand I also had my baking dish. Now that I had my two serving size baking dish I went home to prepare my first spaghetti squash meal. I layered the squash, a low-fat cheese mixture, and marina sauce in three layers (kind of like lasagna) and baked it for 30 minutes. I wasn't sure what to expect. I have had squash before and it always seemed to be more of a sweet taste, but that could have been the butter, brown sugar and marshmallow fluff. I wasn't sure what to expect. When I took it out of the oven it looked beautiful. I served up half with a side of salad. It was delicious. I will definitely be trying more things with spaghetti squash.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the weight loss! That is awesome! I am definitely going this weekend to buy some spaghetti squash to try. Maybe my kids will eat it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dehydration can cause extra weight loss and a headache! Glad you got some liquids in you. Good work on the three pounds loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your weight loss! Be care about hydrating -- we don't want you to make yourself sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you were really dehydrated! Glad you realized it before things got too bad...the headache was enough, I'm sure.

    Great job losing 3 pounds AND fitting into the size 18 jeans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really making a lot of progress. And so brave to be experimenting with food that you've only had previously with sugar and marshmallow fluff (which some crazy state rep tried to have banned here-even tho I think it was "invented" here) - that made me laugh.

    I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure about the hydration, I drink tons of water all the time.

    But hooray on trying spaghetti squash! It's become my favorite veggie - and I never think about it too much until the weather starts to turn cold - thanks for the reminder to pick some up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Your loss is amazing over the past 10 weeks. I am so proud and I know you must feel great. I love reading such positive wonderful blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing great! I was looking back to the beginning of your blog... You've come a long way in a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My weight fluctuates from 2 to 3 pounds throughout the day, so the time of day I choose to weigh myself can make a big difference. :-) Drinking water is so important for our bodies and the lack of it may have contributed to your headache.

    Congrats on losing 3 pounds and getting into those size 18 jeans! There’s nothing like the feeling of getting into smaller sizes. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what I find most amazing about you, The fact that you are HONEST with yourself about your weight-loss. Most people would take the 5lb loss and be ecstatic about it. Instead you saw the reality and decided to try again once your body was in proper working condition. Dehydration can cause intense headaches and dizzy spells too. Though usually when your dehydrated you tend to feel bloaty and/or crave salts due to your body trying to hold onto any extra or get you to drink extra fluids.

    ReplyDelete