Saturday, September 26, 2009

Peshtigo Fire Tower 5k Run



I ran the Peshtigo Fire Tower 5k Run this morning, above you can see the t-shirt I got (one of my favorite things about running these races are the t-shirts). I had two goals when I arrived at this race; first was to run the entire race and second was to finish in under 40 minutes. I had to slow down and walk at about mile 2 for a little but I did finish the last mile fast and I did the race in 38 minutes, so goal number two was a success. However, I had an almost embarrassing moment at the finish line but made it through with my dignity. I had really pushed it my last mile but especially the last half mile and I didn't realize it at the beginning of the race but our Congressman Steven Kagen was giving out the commemorative wooden medallions... wait is that the right word? Can a medallion be wooden? Anyway, he was giving them to the runners as they crossed the finish line. You would run past the clock, someone would rip off the bottom portion of your number and then Steven Kagen would put medallion around your neck. Well since I had been pushing it so hard across the finish line when I stopped running I really felt like I was going to be sick. I wanted to get out of that area ASAP just in case I did lose my breakfast I didn't want to do it on the track. While attempting my hasty exit the Congressman steps in front of me, offers me a congratulations and puts the medallion around my neck. All I could think was, "If he doesn't hurry this up I am totally going to barf on my Congressman." Well I made it through and after getting a drink of water I felt much better and I didn't actually lose my breakfast. For the next run my goals are to run the entire race, finish faster than I did today and don't barf on a Congressman.

Where I work there is a college student that works part-time and over the summer she took time off to participate in an internship. She came back a couple weeks ago but yesterday she and I were the only people in the lab and I was telling her something when right in the middle she interrupts me and says, "I just have to say I can tell you are losing weight, ok go on with what you were saying." I tell you this story for two reasons, first, this is the first time someone that didn't know I was dieting has commented on my weight loss and it made my day. Secondly, I felt like she was uncomfortable paying me that compliment. Do people find it awkward to comment on a persons weight even if it's complimentary?

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats on hitting your goal. I had to slowly walk my 5k today. But I am glad you did not barf on the congressman, that probably would have made the papers.

    It means so much more when an outsider aomments on your weight loss. At first, it is hard for people to comment, but as you lose more, you will hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool girl you are-- go 5K! And not barfing on your elected officials! Re weight comments, people are uncomfortable making them. I am actually uncomfortable hearing them. "You look great," always sounds good and is hard to misconstrue. I don't like talking about weight loss for all kinds of complicated reasons-- mostly, I think, because I wish we could all enjoy and accept each other at any size (violins playing, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the 5k. That is great. You're making wonderful progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 5K...I am totally inspired by you and your progress. I will be running my very first 5k next Sunday (oct 5) and I will definitely keep you in mind (as motivation)...you are doing great...keep it up and congrats again.. oh btw..GREAT JOB NOT barfing on your elected official! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congatulations! You are awesome! I am impressed with your progress and all that you have accomplished. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the 5K!!! One day, one day... grin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, congratulations on finishing the race. Second of all, good work in not barfing on your congressman. Third, grats on the nsv!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day - you made your goal and completed the 5K - congratulations!!! You know, you were probably not the only person close to barfing at the finish line...they may want to rethink the whole "pass the medals out at the finish line" thing, lol!

    ReplyDelete